Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The real thing we should be asking about this is whether she will still have an attractive young woman for a sidekick.
Have it be a cute non-white girl.

Then this doctor can not only be the first female doctor, but the first female genderqueer doctor with interracial lesbian overtones.

Make this shit as progressive as possible!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I'm haven't seen a single episode of Doctor Who..

But to my understanding, aren't each of the doctors just the same people in a different body? So why should a female Timelord act any different at all?
It's the same "person" but with different personalities and different tastes/likes/dislikes. So every Doctor, while he would retain the memories of his previous regeneration, how he acts makes him a different person.

For example, Matt Smith's Doctor favorite food was custard, but the previous and post Smith Doctor's, custard isn't their favorite food.

Quote:
Especially since, and again, not a fan, I'm almost positive I've seen a novel or a comic or something that's had a female Doctor.
I'm sure in the comics they have had female Doctors. Female Gallifraian, or whatever they called themselves are made up of both males and females.

And the Master, who is also a Timelord, was male and now female.

Quote:
Have it be a cute non-white girl.
They've already had two of those, one with Tennant and one with Calipari, and the last one was also a lesbian.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
And the Master, who is also a Timelord, was male and now female.
Yep, Missy (short for "Mistress") played by Michelle Gomez. And she was great.

(I also liked how she interacted with her former incarnation during the last episode.)

Well, but before the new series with the new doctor, there's still the Christmas Special (really liked the last one), with David Bradley playing the William Hartnell Doctor.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:23 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Personally, I don't care as long as the stories in the new season are good. (But I just some saw interviews with her and I think she's a good choice.)

Moffat-Who was sadly already becoming tiresome, which is sad, since I enjoyed (most of) the Smith Era very much.
I'm glad Moffat won't be holding the reins over a female Doctor. He doesn't understand how to write characters or dialogue touching on social issues without having it be extremely in-your-face and blatant. Any and all of his "non-normative" characters have basically been stereotypes of whatever traits they happen to have part of them. Bill? She has to constantly remind people and be reminded that she's a lesbo, and black. I think there've been not-so-subtle hints towards that every single episode this season. Same goes for What's-her-face the Silurian lady and her foxy sidekick lovergirl, their relationship was embarrassingly shoddily written.

As long as the new Doctor will be a Doctor who happens to be female, and not have her being female as her most defining trait, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I haven't actually seen anything with the new Doctor lady actress, but judging by what I've heard she's pretty talented and a solid choice.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I'm glad Moffat won't be holding the reins over a female Doctor. He doesn't understand how to write characters or dialogue touching on social issues without having it be extremely in-your-face and blatant. Any and all of his "non-normative" characters have basically been stereotypes of whatever traits they happen to have part of them. Bill? She has to constantly remind people and be reminded that she's a lesbo, and black. I think there've been not-so-subtle hints towards that every single episode this season.
Wait. Bill was black? And a lesbian? I guess I must have missed that, somehow. It might have been because I just found her to be so... so very bland compared to Nardole, the first male primary companion of the New Who series. Yeah, Bill was there, but she just kinda felt like Rory, except without being the Last Centurion.

Quote:
As long as the new Doctor will be a Doctor who happens to be female, and not have her being female as her most defining trait, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I haven't actually seen anything with the new Doctor lady actress, but judging by what I've heard she's pretty talented and a solid choice.
I'm going to hope for the best, but I'm going to expect at least one "mansplaining" joke, and everyone bringing up that the Doctor now has breasts, every episode for at least the first season. Also, several months of Ghostbusters-like articles about how nerds who don't like this change are just butthurt misogynists, which causes people who might have legitimate criticism to get angry, which fuels more articles, which irritates more people...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 AM

Elune

A few years ago I wouldn't have cared less, but this whole parade has felt like such virtue signalling from the BBC that even a few people who don't get wrapped up in this kind of thing were cringing at the interviews and reports about it. Having BBC presenters literally say shit like (and I quote) "with this Doctor Who has finally come into the 21st century!" whilst wasting air time displaying the Twitter posts of people who dislike the change is pretty dire. They're spending more time patting themselves on the back than they are actually... showing the actress or said new Doctor. The whole thing just seems so artificial and fake y'know?

Also they could've chosen Olivia Colman for FemDoc and they didn't. Into the trash it goes regardless.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
A few years ago I wouldn't have cared less, but this whole parade has felt like such virtue signalling from the BBC that even a few people who don't get wrapped up in this kind of thing were cringing at the interviews and reports about it. Having BBC presenters literally say shit like (and I quote) "with this Doctor Who has finally come into the 21st century!" whilst wasting air time displaying the Twitter posts of people who dislike the change is pretty dire. They're spending more time patting themselves on the back than they are actually... showing the actress or said new Doctor. The whole thing just seems so artificial and fake y'know?

Also they could've chosen Olivia Colman for FemDoc and they didn't. Into the trash it goes regardless.
The last seasons have been garbage, and the SJW overtones have only made it worse. I had more fun laughing at the pointless bullshit than what was actually going on, specially the social media and Trump references, with the racist jokes following close.

Also, there's multiple established female timelords. Why not introduce one of those, like Romana?

I hope Bill doesn't come back, she's awful, even worse than Rose. Just bring Martha back, please, or someone like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I'm glad Moffat won't be holding the reins over a female Doctor. He doesn't understand how to write characters or dialogue touching on social issues without having it be extremely in-your-face and blatant. Any and all of his "non-normative" characters have basically been stereotypes of whatever traits they happen to have part of them. Bill? She has to constantly remind people and be reminded that she's a lesbo, and black. I think there've been not-so-subtle hints towards that every single episode this season. Same goes for What's-her-face the Silurian lady and her foxy sidekick lovergirl, their relationship was embarrassingly shoddily written.

If she's handed bullshit script (she will) it won't matter if she's a good actress or not.

Guess this is the last "fuck you" from Moffat before leaving. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Yep, Missy (short for "Mistress") played by Michelle Gomez. And she was great.

(I also liked how she interacted with her former incarnation during the last episode.)

Well, but before the new series with the new doctor, there's still the Christmas Special (really liked the last one), with David Bradley playing the William Hartnell Doctor.
I would have preferred for her to be a new character instead of the master, to be fair. It gets tiring to deal with the same characters again and again.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

http://mashable.com/2017/07/16/doctor-who-woman/
http://www.dorkly.com/post/84662/the...e-melting-down

And so it begins....
I am not happy with this casting decision. Not because I think the show will turn to shit, it won't. Because to me personally, the Doctor is an iconic male, albeit asexual, role. I'll admit there are some interesting dynamics one could explore with a female Doctor, but most of the interesting differences will end up being oneliners about female strengths being thrown around, and it will end at the usual point of the Doctor being inherently inhuman. Missy was pretty good, I had no complaints there, but it's different with the Doctor imo.

I also agree that Bill was pretty horrible. Her acting was fine, but the character had barely anything to do but remind the audience that she is indeed black and lesbian. Idc about the characters' sexual orientation or race. It's fine if you make it a plot point for a specific episode or storyline, but basically turning to the camera almost every episode to make reference to "i'm a black lesbian" was getting quite tiresome. Nardole was great though.

The main reason i'm annoyed with the casting is the stuff as seen above. Doctor Who has now entered the vast stinking swamp of alt right human garbage versus delusional leftists, and it didn't need to. Not everything HAS to change just because it CAN. You can write feminist stories and cover themes like gender equality without having to literally rewrite genders. But maybe that's just me.

Tags
entertainment