Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Vrykul are awesome.

They're what keep me from stopping playing a warrior. I just can't leave it, it's so awesome now.
They're literally human orcs.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Naga are one thing, but yeah I just absolutely don't see what vrykul bring to the table here. Dwarves have the titan connection and rune magic, orcs have the warrior barbarian culture, otherwise they're just big humans.
Visually, the vrykul would be interesting in the Horde.
I agree that they are pretty bland lorewise. But I guess Blizzard could introduce a new faction of them and try to make them more than just "big vikings".

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 07-29-2017, 09:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Vykrul can be the human sub-race/side-race. There. Everyone wins.

And Legion's music is much better than WoD's. I was bored by WoD's music and ended up listening to Nightwish or whatever else in the background.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:48 AM

Elune

Vykrul never should have existed.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:01 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Why would they hate the Horde? They have almost no history together, and the blood elves would be closer to the naga than the night elves.

I think Naga fits the Horde better. Most remaining known races fit the Horde better. IMO, only Arakkoa and Ethereals are somewhat Alliance-like.
Ah, I wish I could remember where I heard it, it might've been from someone talking from out of their ass to justify putting them on the alliance. Basically, he said the Naga see the horde as a bunch of filthy savages, whom they have nothing in common with.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Legion has music?
Old 07-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Ah, I wish I could remember where I heard it, it might've been from someone talking from out of their ass to justify putting them on the alliance. Basically, he said the Naga see the horde as a bunch of filthy savages, whom they have nothing in common with.
Actually, it's out of the old RPG manuals IIRC, therefore somewhat apocryphal. The issue I have with this is that is that they do fit well enough with blood elves (RPG never really addressed them as members of the Horde IIRC). Belfs could use a horde allies who mesh with them thematically.

On the other hand, if snake mermaids to go the Alliance, it might pull part of the Belf crowd over. Also, it wouldn't be that anti-thematic if playable naga were trying to get back to what they once were. They could bring a layer of sinister to the alliance that some could appreciate.

Honestly, regardless of faction, I'm not looking forward to playing the Naga. I think they should be playable, but they're not for me. I'm more excited at the prospect of Vrykul.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Actually, it's out of the old RPG manuals IIRC, therefore somewhat apocryphal. The issue I have with this is that is that they do fit well enough with blood elves (RPG never really addressed them as members of the Horde IIRC). Belfs could use a horde allies who mesh with them thematically.

Quote:
The naga consider the Horde to be nothing more than barbaric, weak-minded fools. They would sooner accept the night elves as masters than join the Horde.
Alliance And Horde Compendium. So yea, RPG. I knew what Mungo said sounded familiar.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Maybe they were planned for Legion but Blizzard gave up on them? They make sense in Legion context, dunno if Vrykul will make any sense moving forward.

(Thought I'd like to see Vrykul in the Horde. They fit with the Horde mentality and would be a new "pretty race" there).
Possible though the patches kind of set up a playable faction with the whole Skovalds daughter quest. We didn't get anything like that with the naga though Blizz made sure to reiterate that not all naga serve Azshara.

To tell the truth I'd rather get something like naga on Alliance and ogres on Horde but I think we lost our chance for ogres after the perfect chance with WoD.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Possible though the patches kind of set up a playable faction with the whole Skovalds daughter quest. We didn't get anything like that with the naga though Blizz made sure to reiterate that not all naga serve Azshara.

To tell the truth I'd rather get something like naga on Alliance and ogres on Horde but I think we lost our chance for ogres after the perfect chance with WoD.
Ogres are very easy to add. They are everywhere, Horde already has two tribes of them, and Blizz said during WoD that eventually Azeroth ogres would be updated (I bet they didn't change their models because the old ones can use gear, while the WoD ones can't, just like they did with the Broken now). The moment Blizz needs a race but lack ideas, they can add ogres. They are, afterall, naval-savy, arcane-oriented, brutish but can be smart, titan-related. So easy to make them fit with almost anything.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeiute View Post
Alliance And Horde Compendium. So yea, RPG. I knew what Mungo said sounded familiar.
And that was out almost a year before WoW. Undead as members of the Horde wasn't official yet. The Horde was the Horde of Warcraft 3, shamanistic noble savages. Horde Blood Elves weren't a thing at all. The political landscape has changed dramatically.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Ogres are very easy to add. They are everywhere, Horde already has two tribes of them, and Blizz said during WoD that eventually Azeroth ogres would be updated (I bet they didn't change their models because the old ones can use gear, while the WoD ones can't, just like they did with the Broken now). The moment Blizz needs a race but lack ideas, they can add ogres. They are, afterall, naval-savy, arcane-oriented, brutish but can be smart, titan-related. So easy to make them fit with almost anything.
I see a lot of people say how ogre are just big, dumb, ugly babies that no one would ever play, but like you said, they can be smart and have more depth then they think. I would play one.

I really liked the Gorian Ogres of WoD, with their Roman aesthetic. But with Blizzard seemingly trying to sweep everything about WoD under the rug, I don't see them making a reappearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that was out almost a year before WoW. Undead as members of the Horde wasn't official yet. The Horde was the Horde of Warcraft 3, shamanistic noble savages. Horde Blood Elves weren't a thing at all. The political landscape has changed dramatically.
That's great! I hate it when people quote the RPG like it's canon when it's only used in broad strokes and Blizzard can change anything they want.

Last edited by Mungo; 07-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: to avoid double-posting
Old 07-29-2017, 02:36 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

It's weird, maybe because I've started playing D&D since 2006 or so when we all speculated what races could be added to the factions, but I'm still pretty hardline against naga but have considerably softened my opinion on playable dragon-humanoids. I also kinda want a robot race that is to mechanicals what the Forsaken are to undead (IE, mechanical in lore, humanoid in gameplay) because of my love for D&D's warforged.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
It's weird, maybe because I've started playing D&D since 2006 or so when we all speculated what races could be added to the factions, but I'm still pretty hardline against naga but have considerably softened my opinion on playable dragon-humanoids. I also kinda want a robot race that is to mechanicals what the Forsaken are to undead (IE, mechanical in lore, humanoid in gameplay) because of my love for D&D's warforged.
At this point I'd rather any new races be one of the many we already have.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm campaigning for murlocs before naga as an aquatic race and I will die on this hill!

No but really the problem of naga tails getting in the way of things like mount animations is something I just can't find a good way around besides giving them legs, but if you give a naga legs then you basically just have a saurok for the males and a night elf for females. I'm not opposed to it for any other reason, but I think it's a big reason. Naga with legs are just naga in name only.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I'm campaigning for murlocs before naga as an aquatic race and I will die on this hill!

No but really the problem of naga tails getting in the way of things like mount animations is something I just can't find a good way around besides giving them legs, but if you give a naga legs then you basically just have a saurok for the males and a night elf for females. I'm not opposed to it for any other reason, but I think it's a big reason. Naga with legs are just naga in name only.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Arch-Druid

I can't seem to recall, but when was it established that Naga were the cursed Highbourne, already back in WC3? I ask because of the wording in that RPG text referring to serving the Night Elves as masters and not as allies or such. Maybe at the time of that writing, they were just random humanoid creature race such as murlocs and not had the backstory of being a full civilization?
Old 07-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
That seems like a great way to get your tail caught in a wheel and ripped the fuck off.

Plus almost every mount would need a custom sitting animation.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeiute View Post
I can't seem to recall, but when was it established that Naga were the cursed Highbourne, already back in WC3? I ask because of the wording in that RPG text referring to serving the Night Elves as masters and not as allies or such. Maybe at the time of that writing, they were just random humanoid creature race such as murlocs and not had the backstory of being a full civilization?
Original WC3 that introduced them revealed their origin as well.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
That seems like a great way to get your tail caught in a wheel and ripped the fuck off.

Plus almost every mount would need a custom sitting animation.
I don't really see how it would be hard to just give them a default side-saddle mount sit animation?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
I don't really see how it would be hard to just give them a default side-saddle mount sit animation?
Their tails would clip through the floor on all but the tallest mounts.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Elune

We'll get legged naga obviously!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Their tails would clip through the floor on all but the tallest mounts.
I mean... Maybe I'm giving Blizzard's artists too much credit, but this doesn't seem that unbelievable?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
I mean... Maybe I'm giving Blizzard's artists too much credit, but this doesn't seem that unbelievable?

I think this is nice. I mean, as nice as it's possible to be.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:32 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

They should never EVER give us playable nagas.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion