Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Did Bronn push Jaime out of the way or was that another point for team Dickon?
I was unsure too but judging by the color of his clothes it is almost certainly Bronn. Plus he was sinking slower than Jaime which Dickon wouldn't given that he had even more plate on.
Which is of course a big question left at the end of the episode. How is Jaime gonna git out of dis one. That river seems very deep and he is essentially wearing a rock around his neck, maybe try and pull all his strength to simply walk out? Even if a number of people decided to help him, which is unlikely, it is hard to help him out of this. But I doubt Jaime is gonna end up like Barbarossa so something has to happen
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

I thought it was Tyrion for some reason, but that's obviously ridiculous.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Given that next episode is entitled "Eastwatch" and directed by the same Matt Shakman as "Spoils", I am expecting White Walker battles and Brotherhood goodness at the Wall. Giant frost spiders when.

As far as the Wall goes - given how massive it is, and its inherently magical nature, I would assume that when it does fall, it will fall in its entirety. And this should prove to be a monumental event, not just visually. I could see the final scenes of this season being Dany + co being interrupted in the midst of battle or conflict somewhere far down south by the sheer noise and tremor of it happening. Maybe shots of Greyjoy on the sea, Sam in Oldtown's tower, Dany on dragonback, all looking northward and reacting.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Did Bronn push Jaime out of the way or was that another point for team Dickon?
It was Bronn. We see him look up at the horse he later uses after the bastilia gets blown up and the leak list says "Bronn saves Jamie."
Old 08-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Eternal

Jon: How many men do we have in the North to fight him? 10000? Less?
Davos: Fewer.
Jon: Wat?

Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

I liked this:
Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Elune

I must admit, I loved the "Battle of Mors Ab Alto".

But, have the writers figured out why Littlefinger is still in the show? Or is his purpose to just stand around and smirk?

I really miss the LF of previous seasons. I wish that the Spider would show up just so they could engage in those verbal sparring that made the early seasons so enjoyable.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Jon: How many men do we have in the North to fight him? 10000? Less?
Davos: Fewer.
Jon: Wat?

That was hilarious. Right as that scene started, I said to my girlfriend, "Wouldn't it be hilarious if Davos takes up the "fewer" line?". And then not ten seconds later, that happens. Had to pause for a minute from the laughter.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
But, have the writers figured out why Littlefinger is still in the show? Or is his purpose to just stand around and smirk?
That and provide the occasional Baneposting material.

Last edited by Yorenec; 08-07-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Loremaster

So, since the gold was sent ahead with the main column to King's Landing, that would logically make the remaining wagon train the foodstuffs from Casterly Rock and Highgarden, right?

It's not like all those barrels of wine were at risk of fighting back and had to be taken out. Isn't it kinda stupid for Daenerys to incinerate the wagon train of food instead of capturing it when she's got all those Dothraki to feed and after the Unsullied didn't gain any stores in the taking of Casterly Rock?

I mean, the Dothraki literally survive raid-to-raid by looting whatever they can from those they attack. How is she feeding all of these people if she leaves them with nothing to capture?

It's like the running premise of Daenerys' side of the war is portraying people with foresight and intelligence as doomed to fail and those who favor bold stupidity as destined for victory.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-07-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Banished

Theyre making her go the "Dragons dont plant trees" phase, we'll see more next ep. It'll end super quick tho.

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 08-07-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Loremaster

Unfortunate, considering Westeros is rapidly running out of those who actually do grow things.

In fact it seems like food should be a huge problem for everyone, but only the Lannisters and the North seem to be accounting for it as plot points; Daenerys and Euron seem to be somehow conjuring up enough food to keep their armies fed despite not having any more access to the "growers" of the Seven Kingdoms than the other two forces do.

Unless we're to assume Euron's warp-capable fleet is making regular journeys to Essos to buy stuff there in between skipping from one side of the Westerosi hemisphere to the other.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-07-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Unfortunate, considering Westeros is rapidly running out of those who actually do grow things.

In fact it seems like food should be a huge problem for everyone, but only the Lannisters and the North seem to be accounting for it as plot points; Daenerys and Euron seem to be somehow conjuring up enough food to keep their armies fed despite not having any more access to the "growers" of the Seven Kingdoms than the other two forces do.

Unless we're to assume Euron's warp-capable fleet is making regular journeys to Essos to buy stuff there in between skipping from one side of the Westerosi hemisphere to the other.
Ackchually, Euron can send most of his ships to buy food in Essos since, being the new Ramsey, he only needs twenty good ships to wreck the other guys. Do you even D&d?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
So, since the gold was sent ahead with the main column to King's Landing, that would logically make the remaining wagon train the foodstuffs from Casterly Rock and Highgarden, right?

It's not like all those barrels of wine were at risk of fighting back and had to be taken out. Isn't it kinda stupid for Daenerys to incinerate the wagon train of food instead of capturing it when she's got all those Dothraki to feed and after the Unsullied didn't gain any stores in the taking of Casterly Rock?

I mean, the Dothraki literally survive raid-to-raid by looting whatever they can from those they attack. How is she feeding all of these people if she leaves them with nothing to capture?

It's like the running premise of Daenerys' side of the war is portraying people with foresight and intelligence as doomed to fail and those who favor bold stupidity as destined for victory.
I think she wanted to primarily deprive them of food in case the battle didn't go her way. She wants to starve them in KL and avoid an assault that would be bloody on all sides. It probably won't works since Cersei doesn't care much if commoners starve but it makes a degree of sense. She meanwhile can feed her people by buying food from Essos from the money she plundered in Slaver's Bay. The logic and logistics of it don't quite work out but that is hardly the biggest issue in the show so, eh.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think she wanted to primarily deprive them of food in case the battle didn't go her way. She wants to starve them in KL and avoid an assault that would be bloody on all sides. It probably won't works since Cersei doesn't care much if commoners starve but it makes a degree of sense. She meanwhile can feed her people by buying food from Essos from the money she plundered in Slaver's Bay. The logic and logistics of it don't quite work out but that is hardly the biggest issue in the show so, eh.
Also, it's not like she burned the entire Reach. I think it would pretty safe to say that that area is now under her control. I would also assume that the Lannisters didn't pick it clean and it's bascially the breadbasket of Westeros.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Eternal

Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Rumors about this season's end. I find them believable, but disappointing, as expected.

Daenerys flies on Drogon's back towards King's Landing, which can be seen in the distance. She says "I am fire, I am death." Then, a Lannister soldier played by Ed Sheeran starts singing I See Fire.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I don't get the point of fake spoilers when we've had the entire season leaked months ago.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I don't get the point of fake spoilers when we've had the entire season leaked months ago.
I find myself hilarious. Don't you agree?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Problemsolver

Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Elune

Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
That fight bugged me something fierce. Yeah, I get that Arya's got a whole bunch of training under her belt, but Brienne's a damned fine fighter, and several times her size, strength, experience, and wearing armour which would effectively render Arya's choice of weapon moot.

Yeah yeah, she's an important character and super powerful with her training in the house of black and white, but still. I can't help but feel it should have just been a bunch of scenes with Brienne constantly kicking Arya to the ground.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
That fight bugged me something fierce. Yeah, I get that Arya's got a whole bunch of training under her belt, but Brienne's a damned fine fighter, and several times her size, strength, experience, and wearing armour which would effectively render Arya's choice of weapon moot.

Yeah yeah, she's an important character and super powerful with her training in the house of black and white, but still. I can't help but feel it should have just been a bunch of scenes with Brienne constantly kicking Arya to the ground.
The rest is on point, but one might point out that Brienne may be less well-protected than shje would be IRL, as show-Westeros seems to have this bizarre evolution of warfare in which the gorget and horse barding either haven't been invented or just aren't bothered with.

So every battle is a festival of unprotected throats being slashed and riders having their horses easily chopped and impaled out from under them. Honestly between the lack of horse barding and sparse use of actual horse lances outside of tourneys, I wouldn't necessarily even call what the show's Seven Kingdoms use proper cavalry. It's more like they just have mounted infantry, because after the first charge half of them seem to be unhorsed and fighting on foot.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-10-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

Does she though? I'm not quite where exactly between scrubbing floors, washing dead people, being beat up by the Waif, selling oysters and being blinded she became a master Water Dancer. Seems very out of nowhere.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Does she though? I'm not quite where exactly between scrubbing floors, washing dead people, being beat up by the Waif, selling oysters and being blinded she became a master Water Dancer. Seems very out of nowhere.
Just like in the books she has continued her regular water dancing exercises ever since she left King's Landing. We see her doing it as late as season 4 and there is no reason to assume she stopped after that.
Training with the Waife certainly helped improving her general close combat skills like maintaining balance or having good situational and environmental awareness, especially when she was blind.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017

Last edited by spidey1980; 08-11-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Tags
a game of clans, cleganebowl, dwagon, entertainment, finally winter sheesh, game of thrones, happy father's day, oberyn has a headache, song of ice and fire, television, tywin lordaeron