Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
There was some journal in Jade Forest that implies such right?
I don't remember that one.

I was referencing this quest.

Quote:
Cut off the head, and the body will fall.
... Unless you're forsaken, I guess. I realize I should probably stop using that saying now that I am.
Anywho, I don't see what's so problematic about pointing out that spellcasters have specific strengths and weaknesses.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

Anywho, I don't see what's so problematic about pointing out that spellcasters have specific strengths and weaknesses.
I thought you meant Kynrind.

Spellcasters have weaknesses, the disagreement comes from the idea that they don't have experience dealing with that or counter attacks. Otherwise we'd all be spell breakers with felhunters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Loremaster

The "mortality" of the undead in WarCraft is pretty much all over the place. Sometimes just cutting them down seems to do the trick, sometimes severe trauma to the body is enough, sometimes decapitation specifically puts them down, other times full-blown dismemberment is called for, other times fire is required to crisp them beyond functional motility, other times the Light can make death stick, other times ritual purification is called for to prevent them from getting right back up again, and other times still a destroyed undead corpse might spit up an angry ghost that has to be further re-killed.

Which of course then brings us into the terrain of how we manage to kill primarily intangible spirits by bludgeoning and chopping them apart.

In the end it's highly situational and doesn't seem to operate much in the way of a consistent set of rules. If the story's about the heroic Argent Crusaders striking down the armies of the damned, swords and maces do it nicely. If the writing calls for a particular situation to hinge upon the undead being nigh unstoppable, seemingly nothing short of tossing their dismantled bodies into a consecrated volcanic crater will keep them from bouncing back.

And even then there's that chance you'll just get a bunch of scorched magma-zombies climbing out of the fires to torment and sautee the living.

Last edited by ARM3481; 02-02-2014 at 06:12 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

Headcanon, Kiryn is a raised SI:7 operative from among those that were captured in Hillsbrad by Banshees.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The "mortality" of the undead in WarCraft is pretty much all over the place. Sometimes just cutting them down seems to do the trick, sometimes severe trauma to the body is enough, sometimes decapitation specifically puts them down, other times full-blown dismemberment is called for, other times fire is required to crisp them beyond functional motility, other times the Light can make death stick, other times ritual purification is called for to prevent them from getting right back up again, and other times still a destroyed undead corpse might spit up an angry ghost that has to be further re-killed.

Which of course then brings us into the terrain of how we manage to kill primarily intangible spirits by bludgeoning and chopping them apart.

In the end it's highly situational and doesn't seem to operate much in the way of a consistent set of rules. If the story's about the heroic Argent Crusaders striking down the armies of the damned, swords and maces do it nicely. If the writing calls for a particular situation to hinge upon the undead being nigh unstoppable, seemingly nothing short of tossing their dismantled bodies into a consecrated volcanic crater will keep them from bouncing back.

And even then there's that chance you'll just get a bunch of scorched magma-zombies climbing out of the fires to torment and sautee the living.
I think part of that is the fact that there are more than a dozen ways to raise undead and the ways to put them down likely vary as a result.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 AM

The Sun King

I want more Fojar vs Cosmic battling. Bring it back, you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The Dark Lady forgives you all.
omg SEXIST animations.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Ectoplasm gets portrayed as fairly solid stuff, so I'm guessing they're not that intangible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I want more Fojar vs Cosmic battling. Bring it back, you two!
Bring it back in the faction thread. Not here.

Tags
appreciation t. revenge, blood, blood elf death animation, c-c-c-combo breaker, fanwank