Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Pixy Pixy is offline

Arch-Druid
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,134

Default

Quote:
Anyways, the point, which I somehow forgot, was that the Horde could defeat the occupying troops easily, if it set it's mind to doing so.
And the Alliance could reinforce the front easily and retake the city if it set its mind to doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Korath Korath is offline

Hon hon hon
Korath's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toulouse
Posts: 4,643

Default

Come on, people...I've laready said that the SoO and its military aftermath aren't the point of this thrad. It is more the political struggle which interest me and thus this thread...
__________________
"Kanedaaa!"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Pixy Pixy is offline

Arch-Druid
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,134

Default

It would have been interesting to see the night elf culture splintered more, but this time led by respective people.

Instead of having Fandral antagonized, they could have made him lead the druids and settle in Nighthaven. Tyrande could have led the Sisterhood of Elune in Darkshore while Shandris was leading the war in Ashenvale controlling the sentinels.

I see that as a lost opportunity on Blizzard's part since they could have made night elf culture so much more interesting. And of course, political struggle within the Alliance.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Admin
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,997

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixy View Post
And the Alliance could reinforce the front easily and retake the city if it set its mind to doing so.
With the disadvantages of having the population hate you and having to ship in your soldiers from the other side of the world.
I'm not saying that the Alliance is weaker or inept, I'm just saying that the effort wouldn't really be worth it. At most, you're just sending valuable troops to the slaughterhouse.

Anyways, let's stop like Korath begged us to.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Kynrind Kynrind is offline

Arch-Druid
Kynrind's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
  • The rebel Horde is, probably, only slightly weaker than the Alliance.
This should not be the path Blizzard takes with the ending of the war. The Horde needs to be noticeably weaker than the Alliance or the Alliance winning comes off as very strange and a sign that the Alliance only won because the Horde let it win because it split into two different pieces.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Admin
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,997

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
This should not be the path Blizzard takes with the ending of the war. The Horde needs to be noticeably weaker than the Alliance or the Alliance winning comes off as very strange and a sign that the Alliance only won because the Horde let it win because it split into two different pieces.
Not going that path would mean that the Horde has always been carried by the orcs. That, even with the Thall loyalists, all the other race combined are a mere footnote, in comparison to Garrosh's friends.

I thought we didn't want Orcs and Humans to dominate their factions. To let the other races shine.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

The horde are carried by orcs though. That's the point of the rebellion. They can't do it separately. That's probably the reason why the horde are licking their wounds next expansion. Because they need to figure out what to do without orcs carrying them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Not going that path would mean that the Horde has always been carried by the orcs. That, even with the Thall loyalists, all the other race combined are a mere footnote, in comparison to Garrosh's friends.

I thought we didn't want Orcs and Humans to dominate their factions. To let the other races shine.
Pointless reasoning if I ever heard one.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Admin
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,997

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Pointless reasoning if I ever heard one.
Just because you want Org to be occupied.
If anything, people should be clamoring for the orcs, who were just a ragtag group of survivors, to be less prominent and not embracing this fact.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I thought we didn't want Orcs and Humans to dominate their factions. To let the other races shine.
Who's the "we" here? I don't remember Blizzard ever saying that wanted to de-emphasize "orcs vs. humans" as a core theme. I think I can remember them saying the opposite, though.

If the "we" is the posters on SoL, then yeah, I'm sure that all the "I hate the faction war" cats want to see more attention on the other races, but *shrug*.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Just because you want Org to be occupied.
I don't, actually. I just want the Alliance to be as little stupid as possible regarding the outcome.

Honestly, both thematically and sensefully, the canon Horde version of the raid would be for the best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
If anything, people should be clamoring for the orcs, who were just a ragtag group of survivors, to be less prominent and not embracing this fact.
It's the ORCISH HORDE. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

I want orcs in general to take a backseat. Let the Tauren be the muscle. At best let orcs like saurfang lead forces. Make blood elves war advisors. The orcs need to feel that sting of mistrust. They're better as underdogs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Lord Eliphas Lord Eliphas is offline

Eternal
Lord Eliphas's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Eye of Terror
Posts: 4,639

Default

Quote:
I just want the Alliance to be as little stupid as possible regarding the outcome.
Well, only way for that to happen is for Varian to die.

He's the one who didn't give a fucking shit about peace before when Thrall (who did appeasement as if he was Chamberlain himself) was there. It only intensified due to Garrosh's more political-realist view on the situation. There can't be a peace between the two factions, so just take what resources are needed for the Horde as a whole.

Varian is kinda like Darth Malak in that regard. Really, everyone else makes it all stand together. He has his Saul, he has his Spies, and so on.

All he does is look foreboding.
__________________
"Yeah, a sheltered and overly idealistic son of an absolutist monarch, set to inherit the whole nation and continue to rule it as an autocrat.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Kynrind Kynrind is offline

Arch-Druid
Kynrind's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Not going that path would mean that the Horde has always been carried by the orcs. That, even with the Thall loyalists, all the other race combined are a mere footnote, in comparison to Garrosh's friends.

I thought we didn't want Orcs and Humans to dominate their factions. To let the other races shine.


The Horde, especially the orcs -should- be weaker after the Siege. The Alliance is supposed to be victorious. which implies that it -is- significantly stronger militarily to defeat the Horde if the Horde pushed the issue. With so many orcs now dead, that should put the rest of the Horde at a disadvantage because the orcs did make up such a large percentage of the military (mind you it never should have considering that it was only a few ships that landed on Kalimdor carrying orcs and trolls, but that's another issue with how Blizzard portrays population numbers. As in it flat out ignores them for the plot).

If the Horde after the Siege is only slightly weaker than the Alliance, that also implies that the Alliance only won because the Horde began fighting itself. That the Alliance is incapable of ever defeating the Horde on an equal footing.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
It's the ORCISH HORDE.
Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
If the Horde after the Siege is only slightly weaker than the Alliance, that also implies that the Alliance only won because the Horde began fighting itself. That the Alliance is incapable of ever defeating the Horde on an equal footing.
And maybe it is, at present moment.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Not anymore.
Yes it is. The Horde is not going to become the new Troll Empire just because of Vol'jin. Orcs have always been a majority that provided themes for other member-races (instead of adapting them for themselves like the humans did).
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
And maybe it is, at present moment.
Someday, someone will want to write a definitive history of the Wars of Azeroth (Azerothの戦記) that helps to demonstrate why shit happened when and where. There isn't really a lot of substantial rationale for why the Alliance would be so weak in comparison to the Horde at this point (especially if the Horde's advantage is in "numbers of orcs" which wouldn't compute unless they went back to using warlock aging-magicks) but then again, the aforementioned "population numbers < plot" means that the Alliance needs the rebellion because if not, they need to write a new plot.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Yes it is. The Horde is not going to become the new Troll Empire just because of Vol'jin. Orcs have always been a majority that provided themes for other member-races (instead of adapting them for themselves like the humans did).
Kinda odd for you to say this.

I am not sure if you are following my advice and being a realist or if you actually want this.

To say that orcs v humans is where it's at is to ignore the lessons of WCIII and why it is hailed as the best warcraft lore to date.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Kinda odd for you to say this.

I am not sure if you are following my advice and being a realist or if you actually want this.

To say that orcs v humans is where it's at is to ignore the lessons of WCIII and why it is hailed as the best warcraft lore to date.
Oh, but I'm following the Horde's lessons of WCIII to a T.

Are you implying that it were trolls and tauren that made the Horde campaigns interesting, and not the Thrall-Gromm parallel development?

Oh, WCIII was very orc-biased. WCII was much very less so - the orcs had TWO units among the whole Horde faction! TWO units, one of which was the builder, and the one you wouldn't use much as soon as you got the ogre-mages.

Orcs were the cornerstone that made other races 'fit' or not fit the Horde. They spread the RED, the SPIKES, the WARCRY, the SPIRIT. They spread the idea of the Horde so hard that other races started to feel like at home, instead of being blatant vassals of the orcish empire. That's something no other race (except for Naaru) could do.

Without the orcs, there will never be a true Horde.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Which is the problem of this whole war. It's always orcs vs humans when it should've been nelves vs orcs, humans vs forsaken, dwarves vs Tauren, etc. Instead it's Orcs and friends vs humans and friends and that doesn't work in a mmo. I don't play my nelf or my belt to be a sidekick.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Yes it is. The Horde is not going to become the new Troll Empire just because of Vol'jin. Orcs have always been a majority that provided themes for other member-races (instead of adapting them for themselves like the humans did).
I'm not suggesting that it's a Trollish Horde, or a Elven Horde, or a Goblinish Horde, or a Undead Horde, or a Taurenesq Horde (though really, from around TFT through TBC it kinda was, culturally). It's the Horde. Its all of those things and more.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I'm not suggesting that it's a Trollish Horde, or a Elven Horde, or a Goblinish Horde, or a Undead Horde, or a Taurenesq Horde (though really, from around TFT through TBC it kinda was, culturally). It's the Horde. Its all of those things and more.
This, but I just want a less cultural and military orcish horde. If they wanted that they would've focused more on Orc rebels.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Are you implying that it were trolls and tauren that made the Horde campaigns interesting, and not the Thrall-Gromm parallel development?
And was the Grom-Thrall dynamic what propped up the NE campaign?

Because that is what you would need to argue to dismantle my actual point. That is how warcraft left the orc v human and even Alliance vs Horde thematic by introducing the undead, the NEs, even the Legion and naga. And we loved it, and the story was great.

Yes in WCIII NEs/orcs/humans dominated their respective factions but just like how the mere existence of NEs and undead threw the orc v human crap out a window (mostly) so does the inclusion of tauren, trolls and so on as individually playable groups throw out orc (or human) supremacy out the window.

True orcish themes, ideals and so on would remain strong within the Horde because orcs are a strong part within the Horde. But things change, things are changing right now and if we want a logical and engaging story it would be time for the Horde to change after SoO.
All Horde races contribute to the overall feel of the Horde, orcs did so more than others but now it is time for trolls or BEs to take over.

The Horde evolving would be equally good for the story as inclusion of NEs and undead was. It is logical change, it brings new possibilities and explores them. Since the alternative is hamfistedly holding on to an impossible status quo out of nostalgia there is really no choice here.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

I said nothing about the human vs orc dynamic. It makes little sense indeed, especially after the introduction of night elves and the undead.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I said nothing about the human vs orc dynamic. It makes little sense indeed, especially after the introduction of night elves and the undead.
I disagree with the assertion that the introduction of the kaldorei and the Forsaken dismantled the "orcs vs. humans" dynamic of the franchise.
  • Warcraft 1 was orcs vs. humans. This set the tone and the rules for the franchise.
  • Warcraft 2 was orcs & friends vs. humans & friends. This altered one pre-existing rule of the franchise (it's just orcs vs. just humans) while reinforcing the core tenet (it's orcs+ vs. humans+).
  • Warcraft 3 altered the pre-existing rule of orcs+ vs. humans+ by introducing an overpowering third faction into play in the Burning Legion. This expanded the story to include some past oppostion against the Legion (the kaldorei) and the Legion's latest weapon (the Scourge). It broke the rule in a critical way by having orcs and humans work together, albeit against an overwhelming threat.

The whole point of Warcraft 3, down to the intro cinematics, was to demonstrate that the orc vs. human conflict was immaterial in the face of a demon invasion. The night elf and Forsaken narratives are tangential to that narrative, but it doesn't really dismantle the narrative; it's not like the game ends and there's peace between the orcs and humans.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anduin must die, factions, lore, varian must die

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.