Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Problemsolver

I think Thor is a bad ass character. Doesn't afraid of anything and all that.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
We have had a few too many in recent years, haven't we?

Although I must stress I don't count Judge Dredd as a Superhero. Thus, more Dredd films. Please.
On the sole condition that its not one of those Sylvester Stallion type monstrosities like the one several years ago. Judge Dredd would go on my top 10 badasses of all time and that movie was like heresy for me.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Elune

I think the Stallone movie has damaged Judge Dredd as a movie property irrevocably. Batman bounced back because shit like Batman & Robin was not the first exposure they'd had to the character. For non-UK audiences, the Stallone film WAS their first encounter with the character. It's effects were pronounced enough that it had a fairly severe effect on the (quite good) Karl Urban film that came out a decade later everywhere except the UK, where people were familiar with him as more than the guy from that awful Stallone movie.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:

Although I must stress I don't count Judge Dredd as a Superhero. Thus, more Dredd films. Please.
I heard Dredd was pretty good.

I'm still sad that John Carter flopped. I read A Princess of Mars back when I was a little kid, seeing it on-screen was what I'd been dreaming of for years! Edgar Rice Burroughs was probably a bigger influence on me than Tolkien.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

I'm still sad that John Carter flopped. I read A Princess of Mars back when I was a little kid, seeing it on-screen was what I'd been dreaming of for years! Edgar Rice Burroughs was probably a bigger influence on me than Tolkien.
Haha, I loved Burroughs as a kid as well!

We had his original Tarzan books in really fancy hardcover and I loved them to bits, I think I read each one 2-3 times at least. I also read A Princess of Mars and the one about the skeleton people of Jupiter. In the case of the John Carter books I just grabbed them off the bookshelf and was only amazed later when I realized they were from him (or was one of those from his son?).

I wouldn't say his works were terribly complex, but they were ever so enjoyable and they flowed really well, perfect reading for young people. Adults too, because while I prefer brainier books now I dislike books that try to add complexity and sometimes outright confusion for their own sakes, Burroughs' books excel at down to earth writing yet are far, far from trite as well.

Last edited by C9H20; 01-05-2014 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 PM

Elune

Quote:

I think the problem it had was that it WAS a big influence on a lot of people, and so the things that made it unique at the time are now sci-fi staples. Their influence on stuff like Flash Gordon is pretty obvious, and from there, on Star Wars and such. But the books themselves don't have the name recognition that Lord of the Rings has, and so they had a lot more difficult time getting across that it was an adaptation of a fairly major old-school sci-fi novel. The marketing talked about how it was an adaptation of the Burroughs book, but really failed to get across WHY that book was significant.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Haha, I loved Burroughs as a kid as well!

We had his original Tarzan books in really fancy hardcover and I loved them to bits, I think I read each one 2-3 times at least. I also read A Princess of Mars and the one about the skeleton people of Jupiter. In the case of the John Carter books I just grabbed them off the bookshelf and was only amazed later when I realized they were from him (or was one of those from his son?).

I wouldn't say his works were terribly complex, but they were ever so enjoyable and they flowed really well, perfect reading for young people. Adults too, because while I prefer brainier books now I dislike books that try to add complexity and sometimes outright confusion for their own sakes, Burroughs' books excel at down to earth writing yet are far, far from trite as well.
You've pretty well captured the charm of his writing. For sheer adventure, Burroughs is hard to beat.

My dad has a tremendous collection of ERB's work—Tarzan, Mars, Venus, Pellucidar, and a number of his stand-alones. I mostly read the Mars books, though I read a few Tarzan and Pellucidar volumes as well. The man had a tremendous imagination, one that was bright, bold, and outlandish. I drew on a lot of my memories of ERB when writing the Outland sections of the travelogue.

'Skeleton Men of Jupiter' was apparently written by ERB, but it was paired with another story 'John Carter and the Giant of Mars', that his son wrote. I actually haven't read those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I think the problem it had was that it WAS a big influence on a lot of people, and so the things that made it unique at the time are now sci-fi staples. Their influence on stuff like Flash Gordon is pretty obvious, and from there, on Star Wars and such. But the books themselves don't have the name recognition that Lord of the Rings has, and so they had a lot more difficult time getting across that it was an adaptation of a fairly major old-school sci-fi novel. The marketing talked about how it was an adaptation of the Burroughs book, but really failed to get across WHY that book was significant.
Yeah, that can be a problem. It's like The Scarlet Letter—a very important novel, but one that's been made familiar by too many subsequent imitators.

I don't think that the filmmakers were doing themselves any favors by calling the film John Carter. The name's too generic.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 AM

Eternal

Quote:

This.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't mind if the world took a 5-year break from superhero movies.
Yeah, and while I'd prefer all this focus to go into different genres in this day and age you can find several of any kind of move coming out annually. So I don't really mind.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 AM

Banished

Dredd (as in, the Karl Urban film) was fantastic - loved by fans, the original Dredd writers, and most critics aswell.

Of course, thanks to some amazingly bad marketing and release decisions*, it bombed at the box office. And that's all that matters to the fuckwits who decide if they make more or not.

Having said that, it's done rather well, to put it mildly, on DVD and it's possible fan pressure might get a sequel at some point. It's a shame if it doesn't get one because it was a fantastic film, easily better than the Nolan Batman films people are so quick to fawn over. (I liked them, don't get me wrong, but they get far too much praise for very little.)

* Said decisions:
---Putting '3D' in the title. Way to put off a large chunk of people you fucking clowns. I know numerous people who flat out REFUSE to watch 3D films, for various reasons (price, they get sick, etc) and those people never saw Dredd till it was out on DVD.

---Making it damn near impossible to see the film in 2D, anywhere. I certainly never heard of many (any?) UK cinemas offering it in 2D and can't imagine it was much different elsewhere. This and previous point were, I largely believe, the main reason it failed at the Box office. Yes I think the abortion of the Stallone film didn't help, but a good trailer would've solved that, right? Well........

---A trailer that made it look like a generic action wankfest, when it wasn't. Yes there was obviously a lot of action, it's Judge Dredd after all, but it didn't dominate the film, there was plenty of space for excellent work from Karl Urban as Dredd and Olivia Thirlby as Anderson. And she's often forgotten but Lena Headey, a fantastic actress, was superb as the villain, Ma-Ma.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, that can be a problem. It's like The Scarlet Letter—a very important novel, but one that's been made familiar by too many subsequent imitators.

I don't think that the filmmakers were doing themselves any favors by calling the film John Carter. The name's too generic.
The film version of the Scarlet Letter's pretty hilarious if you listen to the director commentary. They're basically saying "we made this movie because it was a book everyone has heard of and nobody has read so we could do pretty much whatever we wanted."

Tags
cartoons, cause birds do fly, hed wants that thread