Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 06-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Loremaster

Default Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
I'm asking you for facts. What about her was 'screwed up'? One sentence. =P
Well ok I'll give you a brief overview of the book since you asked so nicely.

SPOILERS!

Nova Terra was part of the Terra Familiy on Tarsonis, one of the Old Families of the Confederacy of Man. After her 15 birthday she came home to discover that her family was being killed by terrorists and were being helped by Edward, her mother's Jig. The latent psionic energies within her exploded when she saw her brother, Zebediah being shot in the head. The massive waves it emitted was so strong it killed everyone in the building, and a few around the streets outside. All in all, she killed a grand total of over 300 people without realizing it.

Stumbling around out of it, she stumbles into the slums of Tarsonis, otherwise known as the Gutter. All the while she's being tracked by a Wrangler for the Ghost Program that desperately wants her. This is all taking place during the Terran Campaign, so the Confeds are getting their tails kicked by the Protoss, Zerg, and Mengsk the whole time this is happening.

She tries to survive but runs into some thugs led by a thug named Fagin (dude has a Dickins' fetish) who wants her to work for him. She refuses and he throws her out and promises her that she will starve to death because he controls everything. She ends up being plagued because she can remember EVERY person she killed and what they were thinking at the time of their death. Which she uses to freak people out to leave her alone.

Eventually the dude sends someone after her to kill her after finding out she's related to the Old Famalies (something even Fagin wouldn't mess with.). Nova kills the drugged pumped dude, even though she warned him several times to stay away from her. She finally decieds that the best thing she can do is to kill Fagin to make him stop sending people after her, to end the killing. So she goes after him, but he has a plan. He got a Confed Sergent who's wife is hooked on drugs to supply him with a special item that dampens psionic stuff, so he puts that on and tells his men to get ready. People die, yada yada, she makes it inside. Fagin tells her about his machine, she can't read his thoughts, he has kids there and tells her if she doesn't obey him he will shoot them. He uses the machine to inflict pain on her brain, so finally she complies.

Six months later the Wrangler is STILL looking for her with no success. Finally someone tells him about this Fagin guy, and someone who is called "The Blonde" that works for him. He gets pissed cause no one told him that before and so get's ready to go after him. He gets a detachment of Confed Marines assigned to him that are the Warsong Clan in human form led by a female Grom Hellscream. He tells them to wait and he will use them as a threat to get inside.

Meanwhile Fagin has gone batshit, he kills people at the drop of a hat. Kills them then doesn't remember why he did it or if he did it. His second in command Marcus calls up the Confed Sergent to ask him about that machine Fagin wears, the Sergent tells him as long as he only wears it for about 7 hours a day he should be fine. Marcus tells him that he hasn't taken it off in six months, which makes the sergent blanch. So that explains him going nuts.

Nova is looking like crap, bags under her eyes, hair all pasty and stringy, etc. She's halfway in between wanting to die and live. Fagin forces her to kill people for him (with her mind of course.) She warns him that one day one of his lieutenants are going to kill him. He tells her she's crazy and says that "teeps" can only read minds they can't predict the future.

The Wrangler comes in, he tells them he's a Confed an that the Confederacy wants Nova. Nova comes in at this time and asks who he is. He introduces himself and lets her read his mind. She's so happy that someone finally came for her, Fagin goes crazy and says "Flick you!" he shoots the Wrangler, but the force field in his suit protects him. Then Marcus' gun in his arm comes up, he can't stop it. Then he shoots Fagin in the back. Nova then says "I told you one of your trusted lieutenants would kill you." To which Marcus replies "You wuz wrong curve, two of them did." Suddenly the building is shot, and starts to collapse.

The Anihilators (the human Warsong Marines) get a message telling them that Mengsk has broken through to Tarsonis and they are to retrieve Nova pronto and then come to the front line. So they start blasting everything.

The building collapses killing Marcus and the rest, the Wrangler grabs Nova and protects her with his force field suit. He tells her to use her powers to get the debris off of them. Before she can the field comes off and the Wrangler is wounded by the debris. The Marines show up, and Nova tells them that the only way she will come is if they give the Wrangler medical attention pronto, even though the Major in charge wanted him dead.

She goes through Ghost training, and at the end does her final mission and kills the man who sent the terrorists after her family in the first place.

Her memory is wiped and you see her as a full Ghost doing her duty for her new life. She remembers nothing of her past, nor does she want to. She is now a fully loyal and devoted servant of the Terran Dominion.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Thanks Kenzuki.

Her backstory sounds like Kerrigan's a little bit. Without the whole guilt-tripping thing. The only thing that really sounds mary-suish is the killing of 300 people with a thought... that still seems pretty over-powered to me. =S
Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Thanks Kenzuki.

Her backstory sounds like Kerrigan's a little bit. Without the whole guilt-tripping thing. The only thing that really sounds mary-suish is the killing of 300 people with a thought... that still seems pretty over-powered to me. =S
Well you see a person's psionic potential is measured by system called "PI" points. A person with a PI8 or higher is not only telepathic but also telekinetic as well. Well it's later discovered at the end that Nova isn't just a PI8 as what was assumed, she's actually a PS10 which is the highest ever recorded by the Ghost Program.

Also her killing that many people was like a psionic outburst more than anything she planned. Kinda like a psionic storm.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Loremaster

Just finished the first book in the Dark Templar Saga: Firstborn. This book rocks! The protaganist isn't an all powerful being who can kill everything for once lol. He's a regular joe! Well, except for the fact he has the spirit of a dead protoss inside of him that contains all recorded protoss history that ever was hehe. Kinda reminds me of Demon Eyes Kyo a little.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Zamara is confusing.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Loremaster

Do you like it so far?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Yep, though now I'm having trouble following it.

Some of it's a little cliche, and I wish there were some more canon characters... but the original characters are neat, and she actually does a pretty good job writing Mengsk. Though he's actually a little too... smart.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Yep, though now I'm having trouble following it.

Some of it's a little cliche, and I wish there were some more canon characters... but the original characters are neat, and she actually does a pretty good job writing Mengsk. Though he's actually a little too... smart.
She's going to put in more canon characters in the later installments. Also, it doesn't matter to me if some of it is cliche as sometimes that's unavoidable. Rosemary the Assassin, oh how I adore thee.

It's awesome how close she stays to the Starcraft manual lore on the protoss too hehe. I checked it again today after reading the book and I was like "wow, no retcons!"
Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I thought Nova and Queen of Blades were GREAT (Only ones i've read) I want to get Firstborn, it sounds like it'll be a good book.

But, Nova was a great book, capurtured the setting of Starcraft imo.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Loremaster

I wasn't too fond of the gangsta' rapper hoods but meh cannon fodder was needed. "You scan me curve?"