Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Loremaster

Default StarCraft Novels

So now with StarCraft 2 announced, I decided to read some of the novals I have not read yet for StarCraft.

So I went and picked up Queen of Blades, Ghost: Nova, and Firstborn, and will be reading them over the next month.

I was actually surprised to see Ghost: Nova and Firstborn, as I didn't know either was released yet, shows how much I need to catch up with StarCraft after all these years of Diablo and WarCraft running my Blizzard life.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Firstborn? I don't even know what that one is.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldriud View Post
Firstborn? I don't even know what that one is.
Dark Templar Trilogy.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Eternal

I´ll guess i´ll do that too, out of all Blizzard novels, i have yet to buy any of the Starcraft series.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 05-19-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Loremaster

I've got all the Starcraft Novels except Nova and Firstborn, which I've just ordered. The sad thing is, I've never had time to read any of them. I'll soon be doing that in addition to replaying Starcraft and Broodwar. I want to brush up on my lore from there again.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Loremaster

Personally I think they all are a decent read, up and downs of it all.

I think Shadow of the Xel'Naga was a bit stupid, it just didn't have the epic feeling I felt it should have had, and "third" creature that was created by the Xel'Naga made little sense.

Speed of Darkness was actually a good read for me, because I liked seeing what some of those marines were doing down on Mar Sara while the Sons of Korhal start evacuating the planet, before the protoss come to glass it. It also had a ending that was satisfying to me, because it was not a cliche, everyone is happy and beats the bad guys ending.

Liberty's Crusade was sweet just because it gave us another look at the events of the Terran Campaign leading to Raynor defecting and leaving the Sons of Korhal, it adds a lot more depth to the Terran Campaign and lets you really get a better idea of the characters.

The e-book was also good for getting into the minds of Kerrigan and Mengsk.

I have high hopes for these new ones, and it will be nice to see what direction they are taking Nova, as she seems to be the "new" Kerrigan.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Loremaster

I love Kerrigan's first name, for some odd reason Sarah has always had a special place in my heart.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Oh! I'm actually kinda interested in reading Firstborn. I like Golden and the idea of a modern day Terran having to interact with a Dark Templar in his head sounds amusing.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Loremaster

Update

I've finished reading Liberty's Crusade and Queen of Blades. My thoughts are as follows.

I actually enjoyed them more than I thought I would. Some of the scenarios are a little bit different than in the game, but alot of the dialogue is the same verbatum. And it's understandable really considering all we had to go on was them talking on screens in the game.

I really liked Raynor and Kerrigan in them. Mike Liberty, Duke, and Mengsk were neat too. Tassdar and Zeratul were awesome as well. It also seems to me that our Queen of Blades still has a soft spot for the former Marshal hehe, if with a slight sadistic side to that relationship....

It's really made my respect for James Raynor go up too. Out of all the characters in the series he truly seems like a good guy and the most decent one out of them all. It's refreshing coming out of a series where people want to make EVERYONE and their grandmas grey to see a guy who is a real "good ol' boy." as Mike Liberty puts it.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Personally I think they all are a decent read, up and downs of it all.

I think Shadow of the Xel'Naga was a bit stupid, it just didn't have the epic feeling I felt it should have had, and "third" creature that was created by the Xel'Naga made little sense.

Speed of Darkness was actually a good read for me, because I liked seeing what some of those marines were doing down on Mar Sara while the Sons of Korhal start evacuating the planet, before the protoss come to glass it. It also had a ending that was satisfying to me, because it was not a cliche, everyone is happy and beats the bad guys ending.

Liberty's Crusade was sweet just because it gave us another look at the events of the Terran Campaign leading to Raynor defecting and leaving the Sons of Korhal, it adds a lot more depth to the Terran Campaign and lets you really get a better idea of the characters.

The e-book was also good for getting into the minds of Kerrigan and Mengsk.

I have high hopes for these new ones, and it will be nice to see what direction they are taking Nova, as she seems to be the "new" Kerrigan.

Whats the third creature?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebirth View Post
Whats the third creature?
A giant bird of fire. And I'm not joking.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Loremaster

Queen of Blades was a pretty sweet continuation of Liberty's Crusade Scyth, I think you'll like what they've done with Raynor and Kerrigan in it.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Loremaster

Just finished reading Nova. It's a nice book, gritty, tough, captures the setting nicely. Nova scares the crap out of me, her potential for carnage is incredible! She killed over 400 people before becoming a ghost! She also completed the Ghost Program faster than ANYONE before her, including Kerrigan!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuli View Post
Just finished reading Nova. It's a nice book, gritty, tough, captures the setting nicely. Nova scares the crap out of me, her potential for carnage is incredible! She killed over 400 people before becoming a ghost! She also completed the Ghost Program faster than ANYONE before her, including Kerrigan!
Kerrigan didn't even become a Ghost by normal means.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Nova sounds like a huge Mary Sue...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM

Loremaster

Apparantly Mengsk getting a hold of Kerrigan is the reason they started wiping Ghosts' memories at the end of their training hehe.

Mary Sue?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

But they wiped Kerrigan's memory too. She didn't remember shooting Angus Mengsk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Notably:

"Characters were originally labeled as "Mary Sues" for being portrayed in an overly idealized way and lacking noteworthy or realistic flaws."

She seems overly perfect. But it's just an impression I'm getting.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Loremaster

No, she is far from perfect. Considering how screwed she got before she was even FOUND by the Program, which is at the end of the book.

Now when her memory is wiped at the end of the book, she becomes the perfect killing machine....like a Ghost should be.

You're right about Kerrigan, though the guy says that wiping a Ghost's memory is still thanks to Mengsk. Then he says he didn't force Kerrigan to leave the program or something like that.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Screwed in what way though? Having someone do something to you isn't really a flaw.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Loremaster

Well you see Judicator, she never wanted to kill people. She always was a sweet, lovable little girl until her 15 birthday.....that's when everything changed. I won't spoil much but the reason she actually wanted to join the Ghost Program was because she found out that at the end they wiped your memories, and she so much wanted that to happen.

Nova is flickin' awesome!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well you see, Kerrigan. That doesn't answer my question.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Well you see, Kerrigan. That doesn't answer my question.
Well, Judicator. Looks like you'll have to read the book for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Do you work for Blizzard or something?

I'm not reading it. Tell me about it.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 PM

Loremaster

I'm not going to go through the whole thing for you, it's a good book you should check it out yourself. Make your own conclusions, besides you'de just disagree with mine anyway.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:15 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I'm asking you for facts. What about her was 'screwed up'? One sentence. =P